Monday, February 24, 2014 - By Ben Berkowitz - No comments
Congratulations to the Winners of the first SeeClickFix + Kaggle Predictive Analytics and 311 Visualization Competition
SeeClickFix just hosted a Kaggle competition to predict which 311 issues are most
important to citizens. Kaggle, an online platform that hosts data analytics competitions, offers
a place for companies to post their data online and present a challenge to solve. Kaggle’s
community of more than 100,000 data scientists browse these company competitions and mine
data to try and produce the best model in order to win.
So, what exactly makes these data scientists so special? Software Advice, a website that
reviews business intelligence tools, analyzed the top 100 Kaggle prize-winners to get a better
understanding of what these data gurus have in common. Below are some of the top findings.
Time in school and performance in data competitions have a direct correlation. More than 80
percent of the top 100 performers on Kaggle have a Master’s degree or higher.
Computer science and mathematics are the main areas of study by the top Kaggle performers.
However, engineering, econometrics and statistics were close behind. While most of these
areas of study complement a career in data analytics, a few surprising programs surfaced, such
as philosophy and law. The idea being that the characteristics and skills needed to excel as a
data scientist aren’t necessarily tied to a specific background.
The See, Click, Predict, Fix competition had 313 teams competing for a chance to
make a positive social change in the world (and gain some extra cash!).
And the winners are...
- José A. Guerrero - Sevilla, Spain, with this model approach and code
- Bryan Gregory - Fort Worth, USA and
- Miroslaw Horbal - Waterloo, Canada, with this model approach and code
- Anqi W. - Troy, NY, USA, for Views by Source. East
- Ran Locar - Tel Aviv, Israel, for Who Works When?
- A Few of My Favorite Government Features
- Randolph, MA in the Top 10!
- The SeeClickFix Fellows at the 33% Mark
- Council Member Kallos Promotes Digital Engagement ...
- Great Customer Experience in Holyoke
- 'Tis the Season for Potholes
- Why We Exist
- Congratulations to the Winners of the first SeeCli...
- SeeClickFix and Socrata Partner for Open Data Day
- Update: Commonwealth of Massachusetts Partnership
- Saturday is International Open Data Day at SeeClic...
- Fast Company highlights some of our favorite citiz...
- SeeClickFix Goes Surfside (Florida)
- Snowcrew.org Launches in beta on top of the SeeCli...
- Sacramento County 311 Launches with SeeClickFix
- 7,000 Thank You's and other fun facts from the See...
- ▼ February (16)
- ► 2013 (119)
- ► 2012 (121)
- ► 2011 (205)
- ► 2010 (264)
- ► 2009 (134)
- ► 2008 (62)