Thursday, May 6, 2010 - By zak - No comments
Watch where you park that 18-wheeler!
Charlotte, NC resident Mrs. Fran Leysath delivered that message loud and clear to the obtrusive trucks blocking in the Rite Aid lot on Harris Boulevard. On a SeeClickFix post in April, Leysath wrote that she was "sick and tired" of the illegally parked vehicles, which were "creating a huge traffic problem," making the neighborhood "look trashy," and "tearing up the parking lot."
Some of the trucks had gotten so comfortable in their spot, it looked as if they were there to stay. Leysath reported that the trucks "have now taken advantage and...now it has become a Long term TRUCK STOP!!"
Luckily for Mrs. Leysath and other neighbors, SeeClickFix brought the problem to the attention of TV news station, and SCF media partner, WBTV as well as the local police.
John Carter from WBTV posted that the station was sending out TV crews to try to catch some trucks in the act. Later that day, a police captain updated the thread to say that 'No Parking' signs had been posted, and vehicles had been towed to send a message.
WBTV ran a quick news spot following up on this issue (see above screen shot). According to a truck driver from a local business, the problem had been fixed.
Mrs. Leysath was astonished: "I cannot believe little me helped to fix this one problem...now I will working again with See, Click Fix in the near future in other areas where I have seen potential problems!!"
Once again, cases like this show the potential that SeeClickFix has to unite different entities–like neighbors, local media, local authorities, and local business–in a productive conversation about everyday issues, terminating in a fix.
- ► 2013 (119)
- ► 2012 (121)
- ► 2011 (205)
- Tagging San Rafael
- SeeClickFix Goes Boom
- Ann Arbor Canyon
- New Widget: Times-Tribune
- Car Wrecks
- The Perils of Dead Wood
- Park Clean-up in Pontiac
- Looking for Unshakable Meaning?
- In Pontiac, Demolition Means Progress
- Eyes on Barbados
- SeeClickFix "Sting" in Chicago
- Amplifying Global Voices
- Site Up!
- Site Down!
- The Financial Condition of a Road Commission
- Greening The Green
- Update from Lorain
- We're Cool in Canada
- An Inside Look at the Housing Crisis
- Corona Residents: Fix Your City, Win a Latte
- Dogs on the Loose
- Cuts in Michigan's Budget, Cracks in Michigan's Ro...
- SeeClickFix in The Press-Enterprise
- Dirt Bikes: A Retrospective
- SeeClickFix Piloting 'Community Actions' Feature f...
- Fighting Graffiti with Graffiti
- "Focus on What's Real"
- No More Glow in the Dark
- SeeClickFix Integrates Data with San Francisco and...
- Watch Where You Park that 18-wheeler!
- Corona's fixin' to fix
- SeeClickFix Joins the Future Cities Forum
- NYC's Quick Fix
- SeeClickFix is on Fire!
- J.T.'s Approval
- Journal Register Towns, 2 Weeks Later
- Nashville Floods, Fixers Post
- ▼ May (38)
- ► 2009 (134)
- ► 2008 (62)