Saturday, March 2, 2013 - By Unknown - No comments

Mapping Sinkholes Before They Become Serious

The top trend on Google search right now is "sinkhole". As many have seen a sinkhole in Florida swallowed a man in his bedroom making the somewhat mundane term a buzzword around the world.

I just did a data dive on SeeClickFix to see where sinkholes have been popping up recently. Here's what I came up with. You can zoom in on a location to get more reports if they exist.

Feel free to add to the data set by using the report button below.  Also feel free to copy this widget I created with the embed button below.

I know little about the leading indicators of large sinkholes like the one in Florida but I'll fancy a guess that some start as smaller sinkholes like ones documented here:





You can also find photos of sinkholes from the gallery here: http://seeclickfix.com/gallery?q=sinkhole

0 comments:

Post a Comment