Tuesday, July 26, 2011 - By Anonymous - 1 comment

SeeClickFix: The Cure for the Common Internship

Guest post by Amanda Smyth, SeeClickFix Intern Extraordinaire!

The catchy phrase and company known as “SeeClickFix” holds a variety of meanings for many individuals. For citizens, SeeClickFix is an outlet to report issues that they want repaired. For governments, it is a way to demonstrate their commitment to their community by responding and fixing concerns. However for me, SeeClickFix has been my work place for the past two months. Though my internship here at SeeClickFix is nearly over, the wonderful experience that I gained will be remembered for a long time. I can hardly forget my first day of work when I explored New Haven and reported issues I found that needed to be fixed. It was neat learning how the mobile applications worked and how rewarding it feels to know your voice has been heard. This is just one of the endless reasons to use SeeClickFix in your community.

While working at SeeClickFix I have certainly grasped a better knowledge of programs such as Google docs and Cision. My ping-pong skills have also been improved during breaks of list building (where I consistently beat my other fellow intern, Tom). I have never heard of any internship that has a ping-pong and foosball table right in the office! I also learned a lot about the ins and outs of phone calls with government and media contacts. It was a sometimes frustrating, but ultimately rewarding process being able to introduce new people and communities to our platform. At SeeClickFix I always felt like part of the team and that my efforts were appreciated!

Amanda (in green) really "dug" her internship with SeeClickFix...
Working at SeeClickFix has also made me aspire to help my community. One afternoon I planted trees with the SeeClickFix team and our neighbors here in New Haven. This was a phenomenal way to give back to the community. SeeClickFix may be a fairly new company, but this has not stopped it from doing well. I look forward to watching the growth of the company, and feeling proud that I was able to take part in such an inspiring idea. I could not have asked for a better internship and work experience this summer.

1 comments:

  1. Anonymous says:

    While I reject the notion that Amanda beat me at list building, Amanda and I have made a great team in these last two months. We have worked very hard to let citizens and municipalities know about the wonderful tools that SeeClickFix offers to make communities in this nation a better place.

    I enjoyed reading this reflection on her days as an intern at SeeClickFix. SeeClickFix will miss the kindness and hard work that she brought with her to work each day!

    -Tom

Post a Comment